Mine is preatty a big family. I have 17 first cousins from my father's side that makes more or less 45 if we consider wives, husbands and children. We are very close and now and then organize family reunions to spend time together.
Last Saturday I had about 16 out of 45 for dinner.
But this was not a planned one, we just decided on Saturday morning after a few quick phone calls to wish each other Happy New 2009!
My menu choice always starts opening the fridge: I had just bought some fresh green zucchini and I decided to use them somehow.
I imagined zucchini with potatoes, so I just had to figure out the best recipe and shape.
This is a brand-new recipe I want to share with you and just one of the 5 courses served that night.
Zucchini, potatoes & tuma cheese sformato
serves 8 persons (regular course)
3 zucchini, medium/big size
8 potatoes, medium size
tuma cheese OR emmental cheese (or any other kid of tasty stringy one)
2 spoons of parmesan cheese
extra virgin olive oil
1. Use a deep pan to boil 4 whole potatoes. When you manage to easily slip the fork in, potatoes are ready. Strain them and let them cool.
2. Peel the potatoes and cut them in pieces and put them into a bowl. Mash them, then add the egg, parmesan cheese, parsley, a bit of salt and mix all together.
3. Wash and slice the zucchini (about 5 mm each), wash and slice the potatoes (about 5 mm each).
4. Use a pie-dish and make a first layer of about 1 cm with the potato mixture, so to have a close and regualr bottom. Add alternatively a layer of zucchini with a layer of sliced potatoes. Between the layers, remember to pour drops of extra virgin olive oil, dust salt and dried mint.
5. On top, add the sliced cheese. Bake into the oven at 180°C for about 20 minutes. Serve it warm.
Picture: © Doriana Briguglio